Before slipping into your typical winter hibernation routine this season (e.g. huddling in front of your space heater or handing out chewy chocolate en masse), read on! We have the perfect cold-weather cure for you: San Francisco.
So, grab your mittens and head straight for the 7X7 this winter to watch it transform into a snowy (yes, it snows inside the San Francisco Hyatt Regency each year) wonderland. Classics like comfort food and ice skating, and offbeat activities like SantaCon are sure to captivate your holiday spirit.
- Toasty Libations for Grown Ups and Grown-up Kids
Sugar and spice and everything nice, that’s what our list is made of. So read on for some winter libations for adults and tots, alike, sure to give plenty of lip service for all.
- Bourbon & Branch: With a “library” perfect for nighttime ponderings, this speakeasy ringleader is famous for hand-crafted cocktails and seasonal faves like eggnog, bourbon and spice, sure to inspire caroling.
- Christopher Elbow Artisanal Chocolates: Think you’ve had hot chocolate? Think again. Here, heavenly gifts like Dark Orange Citrus and Coconut Curry will make you swoon. (Also, check out Dandelion in the Mission for pure chocolate you can drink.)
When you think cold weather, think seasonal, comfort fare that includes holiday take-home menus and flavors that range from cranberry to mac ‘n’ cheese. Yes, Virginia, mac ‘n’ cheese is a flavor.
- Hog and Rocks: This gastropub in the Mission serves up fried chicken, hush puppies and communal tables (perfect for brushing off any cold shoulders.)
- Hard Knox: Got soul? Then get down in the Dog Patch on fried catfish, creamy mac ‘n’ cheese, and corn bread known to make some drool.
Here, we point towards hot spots perfect for conspiring by the fire. So go ahead and walk uphill both ways in the cold and then duck into one of these cozy quarters…
- Bacchus Kirk: This is a friendly bar in the Tenderloin with central fireplace and a small smoking room (so it can encircle your head, like a wreath.)
- Riptide: At this Parkside bar, “sitting by a fire, roasting marshmallows (and) enjoying a pint of Guinness,” is entirely possible according to Yelper Rego S.
From classic to funky, this lineup has something for everyone when Jack Frost comes to the city.
- Don a red suit and then “ho-ho-ho” your way around the streets and bars of SF with all of your thousands of fellow Santas at SantaCon this year.
- Transport yourself back in time at the Marina Cow Palace where acres of the venue get transformed into the streets and festivities of London circa the Victorian period at the Great Dickens Christmas Fair and Victorian Holiday Party.
- Perfect your triple axel or take lessons to learn the basics at Union Square Holiday Ice Rink or skate on over to Embarcadero Center, where you can gaze upon the lights of the Bay and Ferry Building.
Pack as many jolly folks as you can into the car, trolley or sleigh and make your way to these flickering, twinkling merry-makers.
- Think big at the must-see Tom and Jerry’s Christmas display at 3650 21st Street, Noe Valley and get a giant dose of holiday cheer.
So before watching a Wonderful Life for the hundredth time this year, hop on a plane, a train, or a bus and feel the magic of the season with the SF skyline as your backdrop!
Click the links below for more information:
Hog and Rocks
Bourbon & Branch
Christopher Elbow Artisanal
Great Dicken’s Christmas Fair
Union Square Holiday Ice Rink